Everyone likes to play the guessing game when someone is pregnant – will it be a boy or a girl? And of course, everyone has clues that help them determine the correct answer. For me, I just sort of knew from the beginning it was a boy, not sure why, but I was only thinking “boy.”
I made friends with another pregnant woman I met at the hospital who also suspected (correctly!) she was having a boy. I asked her how she knew and she shared with me some of the Kazakh wisdom for determining if one is having a boy or a girl.
For a Boy:
- The pregnant woman craves meats and spicy or sour foods
- The woman maintains her waistline while pregnant
- The woman also stays looking like herself or becomes more beautiful with a boy
For a Girl:
- The pregnant woman craves sweets and chocolate
- The woman loses her waistline and gets fatter
- The woman “becomes not pretty” and has much more acne
In addition to these, it seems that the way the woman is carrying also illuminates if it is a boy or girl – I’ve had some people I just met say, “Oh, I see you are having a boy!” but I don’t know the details of what they are observing.
So these are just a few of the Kazakh wives tales for determining the sex of a baby – what are some from other cultures? I was trying to think of some from the U.S., but the scientist-side of me must have dismissed them because I could not recall any! Feel free to share your favorites in the comments.